Alex Wheeler has reported a vulnerability in Kaspersky Anti-Virus, which can be exploited by malicious people to compromise a vulnerable system.
The vulnerability is caused due to a boundary error in “cab.ppl” when processing malformed CAB archives. This can be exploited to cause a heap-based buffer overflow and allows arbitrary code execution when a malicious CAB archive is scanned.
Secunia Advisory: SA17024
The vulnerability has been reported in the following versions:
- Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal 5.0
- Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal Pro 5.0
- Kaspersky Anti-Virus 5.0 for Windows Workstations
- Kaspersky Anti-Virus 5.0 for Windows File Servers
- Kaspersky Personal Security Suite 1.
Critical: Highly critical
Impact: System access
Where: From remote
Solution Status: Unpatched
Software: Kaspersky Anti-Virus 5.x, Kaspersky Personal Security Suite 1.x
[Continue reading Secunia Advisory SA17024]