Last week I was sent an email asking my opinion of a software program called AMP WinOFF. Having not tried the software before, I thought it would be worth taking a look at. The download of AMP WinOFF is tiny — only 498kb. Setup is simple and the user interface for the software is very intuitive and easy to configure.
The configurations are vast and include some of the following features according to the AMP WinOff software site:
This is an utility designed to shut down Windows computers automatically, with several working ways and fully configurable. Some of its features are:
- Shut down the computer at certain hour (e.g. at 12:00).
- Shut down the computer in several minutes (e.g. in 15 minutes).
- Shut down the computer when the CPU becomes idle.
- Several types of shut down (shut down, restart, log off, power off, suspend, hibernate and lock computer).
- Option for hang up the modem instead of doing a shut down.
- Option for set a password to protect the access to the configuration.
- Complete command line support for batch process.
- Option for capture the desktop and/or execute a program before the shut down.
- Option for run the program when starting Windows session, for daily programmed shut down.
- Immediate shut down and computer lock from the traybar icon menu.
- Option for show an alert window, which allow the cancellation of the shut down.
- Works with Windows 9x/Me/NT/2000/XP.
I set a turnoff time of 9:50 PM and set for my system to enter into hibernation mode. Yippie,skippy; it worked. LOL
The software works with all Windows versions from 9X and up except Vista. It appears to have a very small load factor on system resources which is always welcome.
I can see this being a useful software program for those who don’t remember to shut down their systems before bedtime, for the kids who always seem to forget to shut down the system and for others of us who just want the convenience of having something done for us automatically. I have added this to my toolkit.
Oh yeah, it’s FREE!
Download the program from here.
PS I put this on my wife’s computer as well since she always seems to forget to turn off her lappy at night. Works perfectly.
[tags]software, shutdown, windows[/tags]