XP supports a technology known as Speech Recognition. This technology allows you to dictate text and have it typed for you. One of the things you require in order to use this Speech Recognition is a Speech Recognition Engine (SRE). XP does not include one. You can acquire it by installing any of the Microsoft Office XP applications or by purchasing and installing the XP Plus Pack 5.0.
If you have the Microsoft Office XP CD, you can install the SRE using the steps listed below.
- Click Start and click Control Panel.
- Double click Add or Remove Programs.
- Click Change or Remove Programs and click Microsoft Office XP.
- Click Change.
- Select Add or Remove Features and click Next.
- From the list of features to install, double click Office Shared Features.
- Double click Alternative User Input.
- Click Speech and click the down arrow.
- Select Run from My Computer.
- Click the Update button.
Once the engine has been installed, you can enable it in any of the Microsoft Office applications. For example, in Microsoft Word, click the Speech option from the Tools menu. If prompted, insert the Microsoft Office XP installation CD to complete the installation.
[tags]microsoft,diana huggins,speech recognition,xp plus pack 5.0,sre[/tags]