Regular maintenance is one of the keys to ensuring that your computer continues to operate as it should. Unfortunately it is something that many people forget to do or just don’t want to take the time. Yes, it is something that I have definitely been guilty of in the past. You should include the Disk Cleanup utility in your maintenance program as a way of getting rid of those old files on your computer that you no longer need (also a great way to free up some space). You can run the Disk Cleanup utility using the steps listed below.
- Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and click Disk Cleanup.
- Use the drop down arrow to select the drive you want to clean.
- Click OK.
- Your drive will be analyzed to determine how much space you will be able to free up on the drive. Keep in mind that this may take several minutes.
- The Disk Cleanup dialog box will appear allowing you to select the categories of files you want to delete. You can use the View Files button to see the specific files that will be deleted.
- Click OK. This will begin the process of cleaning up your drive.
[tags]disk cleanup, vista, system tools, accessories[/tags]