Most Microsoft exams expect you to have some troubleshooting knowledge and exam 70-272 is not exception. You need to be able to troubleshoot TCP/IP addressing problems. So let’s take a look at some of the common problems that you can expect to be tested on.
When it comes to troubleshooting IP addressing, you need to know the different utilities that are available. Know that the ipconfig command can be used to view IP configuration information. There are a number of different parameters that can be used with the command as listed below.
- /all Displays detailed IP configuration information
- /release Releases the IP address for the specified adapter
- /renew Renews the IP address for the specified adapter
- /flushDNS Purges the entries in the DNS cache
- /registerDNS Refreshes all leased IP addresses and re-registers DNS names
- /displayDNS Displays the contents of the DNS cache
Another utility that is useful in troubleshooting IP addressing problems is ping. You need to know the process that you go through with the ping command to diagnose IP communication problems.
- Ping the loopback address of 127.0.0.1 to ensure TCP/IP is initialized on the local computer.
- If successful, ping the IP address assigned to the local computer.
- Next ping the IP address of the default gateway. If this fails verify that the IP address of the default gateway is correct and that the gateway is operational.
- Next ping the IP address of a host on a remote network. If this is unsuccessful, verify that the remote host is operational, verify the IP address of the remote host, and verify that all routers and gateways between the local computer and remote computer are operational.
[tags]exam, 70-272, DHCP, XP, IP addressing, troubleshoot[/tags]