Here are some helpful hints for those who are new to Gmail and they may help in getting you up and running faster.
- One of the first things I did when I got my Gmail account was to import my address book from Outlook Express. You can import your contact list from almost any email software. Doing this enables you to use Gmail from any Internet connection and to also maintain your usual address book contacts.
- Gmail includes common word processing features including bold, italic, text color, bullet points, and hyper linking. Or you can remove the formatting and send your message in plain text. .
- Google has a excellent spell checker. This feature alone can save us all some embarrassment and eliminate spelling errors. Like all spell checkers words like to, too and two are not corrected when they are spelled correctly. So grammar is left up to the user. 🙂
- You can use POP and forwarding with your Gmail account. I have mine set up for Outlook Express
- Spam filtering is available with Gmail and works very well. It usually will block over 95% of the junk from your inbox.
Google has a very good Help center and the instructions are very easy to follow.
So how do you get a G-mail account? You need to obtain an invitation. Over at the Lockergnome forum you can ask for a Gmail account here for free.
I hope you enjoy your Gmail account.
[tags]gmail, hint, account, free, setup, label, pop, forwarding[/tags]