So, a few people have been asking why Ponzi and I are heading to Germany for the next week or so – and the answer, while perfectly sound, may surprise you.
GM (yes, General Motors) is hosting us for the International Automotive Ausstellung (IAA) – the Frankfurt Motor Show 2007. They saw how much fun we were having with live video and YouTube and thought it’d be nice to share the expo and a few semi-exclusive interviews with the rest of the galaxy.
Even though my car has Bluetooth, XM, OnStar, etc. – I’m not a true car geek. That said, I’m quite interested in learning about efforts in “green tech” for international and domestic markets. GM gave me a running list of top initiatives for their company:
- New HydroGen4 fuel cell vehicle, Volt electric car
- More than 700 million euros for new engines and transmissions until 2012
- Opel / Vauxhall: Electric car concept, ecoFLEX initiative, new Agila
- Chevrolet: New Aveo generation, distinctively designed HHR
- Saab: New 9-3 generation with top-of-the-line Turbo X model
- Cadillac: BLS Wagon, new generation of Cadillac CTS luxury sedan
- Corvette: More power for Coupe and Cabrio
- HUMMER: H2 is film star in “Transformers”
So, looks like they’re not killing the electric car after all…? 🙂
As noted before, I’ll have my camera, laptop, microphone, etc. We hope to stream whatever we can stream live to everyone (thanks to a Vodaphone modem with my MacBook Pro). There will be plenty of stills and videos to share with you as well. I’m quite excited, as you can imagine.
This will be my first time in Europe altogether. I don’t speak a lick of German – beyond hallo, bitte, danke, and sprechen zie English. We’ll have free time from the 13th through the 16th, I believe – so if any informal blogger meetup was to happen, it would likely be within that space (in Frankfurt or not, so long as Ponzi and I could get to the destination with relative ease and minimal frustration).
[tags]car show, germany, green tech, iaa[/tags]