I love brainstorming ideas for a new company name, product, or something else. I guess you could call me a name freak. 🙂 Every case is different, but here are the basic tips I tend to follow when hunting for inspiration:
- Randomly flip through the dictionary.
- Take words and mixing or subbing letters.
- Say names out loud.
- Pick a handful of words and use them with other words, prefixes or suffixes.
- Open an atlas and look around the world for name ideas.
- Use RhymeZone, which provides more than just rhymes.
- Use the Internet Anagram Server.
- Enter words in domain name and check out the suggested names (Namedroppers.com, Domain Tools, and Nameboy).
- Look at something related to the company, product, or whatever it is you’re naming — and write down words that instantly come to mind.
- Based on the business type or industry, search the industry and see what words come up. Play with those.
- Look at competitors or browse existing names that fit in the customer’s requirements and see what comes up.