I received an email from a friend this morning with some tips and tricks to try in Windows 7. I thought I would pass these along to you.
Windows 7 has a built in utility to make a repair CD in case something happens to the OS. To access the utility just type in the following in the search box on the start menu: “system repair disc. Why this is hidden is beyond me.
I spent some time trying to figure out how to get the quick launch back, but it is entirely gone in Windows 7. So I thought. But it can be reactivated by doing the following.
- Right-click the taskbar and select Toolbars and than New Toolbar
- In the folder selection dialog box that appears enter the below string and hit the OK button:
- %userprofile%AppDataRoamingMicrosoftInternet ExplorerQuick Launch
- Turn off the “lock the taskbar” setting, and right-click on the divider. Confirm that both Show text” and “Show title” are both disabled and that view is set to “small icons”.
- Next use the separaters to rearrange the toolbar ordering to your liking and then lock the taskbar again.
You will notice some stuff missing from Windows 7 such as an email program. You can add this feature and others by going to this link:
If you have either a DVD or CD .iso file that needs burning just double click on the file and a small burning applet will appear. Interesting.
Do you have any tips you would like to share with us?