Many people do not take advantage of Outlook distribution lists when they frequently send messages to the same group of contacts (a distribution list (DL) is a grouping of Outlook contacts). Instead, they add each contact separately in the message’s To field. Not only is this time consuming but you may inadvertently overlook someone.
Distribution lists give you a quick and easy way to send a message to a group of people. For example, you can create lists that contain e-mail addresses of family members, friends, or co-workers. When it comes time to sending a message to a group of people, you need only send it to the distribution list.
To create a distribution list in Outlook:
- Open Outlook and click Contacts.
- From the File menu, point to New, and click distribution list. Now you’ve opened an empty distribution list.
- Click the Select Members button.
- Double click the particular address you want to add to the list.
- Repeat step 4 for each additional e-mail address you want to add to the list.
- Click OK.
- Type in a name for the distribution list.
- Click Save and Close.
The new distribution list will now appear in your list of contacts. To send a message to the distribution list:
- Create a new email message.
- Click the To button.
- Click the drop down arrow beside the Show names from field to select the appropriate Address Book.
- Double-click the bolded Distribution List entry.
- Click OK.
- Click Send.