Sometimes we forget that not everyone is a guru and that some folks need help with what some of us may consider a simple computer fix. So it was when I got a call a few days ago concerning a lost [forgotten] password on a Windows Home XP box. Passwords on a XP box can be reset by using a a password reset disk. But when a disk isn’t made, can not be found or for other reasons is not available, than you can use the procedure as outlined by Microsoft on their site.
How to log on as administrator
Start the computer in Safe Mode. After the Power On Self Test is finished, press and hold the F8 key until the Start menu appears. Use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode, and then press ENTER to confirm the selection. Now you can see the administrator account next to your user account on the Welcome screen.
- Log on as administrator. If this is the first time that you have logged by using the administrator account, there is no password assigned to the account. You can just clickAdministrator. Note If you have logged on as Administrator in the past, you may have assigned a password to the account. If this is the case, type the password.
- After you log on, Windows notifies you that it is running in Safe Mode. Click Yes.
How to reset the password
You can now reset the password for your user account. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click User Accounts.
- Click your user account, and then click Change the password.
- Enter a new password, enter it again to confirm the password, and then set a password hint.
- Click Change Password.
- Note You can also use this opportunity to set a password for the administrator account, if you have not already done this. If you do not assign a password to the administrator account, your computer can be accessed by anyone. To set a password for the administrator account, follow the same steps as for your own user account. You can also create a password reset disk. Your password has now been reset. Restart your computer, and then log on by using your new password.
There you have. If you are a visual type, than take a look at the source below. It will take you to Microsoft’s site with pretty pictures. LOL