If you’re like me, you likely prefer automation over having to do things manually. If so, you can take advantage of Outlook’s AutoArchive feature and let Outlook archive your mailbox for you based on the schedule and options you set.
To configure AutoArchive settings:
- From the Tools menu in Outlook, click Options.
- Click the Other tab.
- Click the AutoArchive button.
- Configure the AutoArchive settings you to use. The options you can configure include:
- How old items must be before they are moved into the archive folder
- Where the archive .pst is stored
- Whether older items should be permanently deleted
- If you select the Apply these settings to all folders now option, any custom archive settings you select within individual folders will be overridden
- Click OK.
AutoArchive settings can also be set at the folder level. Keep in mind though, that if you select the Apply these settings to all folders now option (described in the steps above), individual folder AutoArchive settings will not apply.
To set archive settings at the folder level:
- Right-click the folder you wish to archive.
- Click Properties.
- Select the AutoArchive tab.
- Specify the AutoArchive settings you wish to apply to the folder. The settings are the same as those described in the previous steps.
- Click OK.