If you plan to use Windows XP as the guest operating system, you should download and install Windows XP Mode. The package is available as a free download from the Windows Virtual PC product page.
To install Windows XP Mode:
- Click Start, type virtual and click Virtual Windows XP.
- Click Download to obtain the setup file.
- Once the download completes, double click VirtualWindowsXP.msi to begin the installation.
- Click Run.
- Click Next.
- Click Next to accept the default installation directory.
- Click Yes to continue the installation.
- Click Finish.
Once the installation is complete, you can launch Windows XP Mode from the Start menu. The first time you do so, the Virtual Windows XP Setup will launch to complete configuration, as described below:
- When prompted to accept the license agreement, click I accept the license terms and click Next.
- Setup will prompt you to specify a password that the default user account will use. Type in a password.
- Select Remember Credentials (Recommended) to configure Windows Virtual PC to remember the password so you do not have to supply the credentials each time you use it. Click Next.
- Setup will prompt you to enable automatic updates for the Virtual Windows XP machine. Click Next. At this point, set up and complete and Virtual Windows XP is launched.
[awsbullet:windows virtual pc]