Think about someone in your workplace who is seen by others as being a professional. What makes them a professional? What do you admire about him or her? Chances are, this individual demonstrates specific behaviours such as respect for others, integrity, etc.
If you want to be seen or known as a professional in your workplace, here are some basic tips / behaviours to consider:
- Do your job well. Seek additional training to ensure you have the necessary skills and knowledge.
- Be respectful to everyone around you, regardless of his or her position.
- Let others know they can depend on you by being up on time — whether it is submitting deliverables on time or showing up to meetings on time.
- Be honest and upfront. For example, if you are running behind on a deliverable, be open about it.
- Be consistent on your workplace principles. Saying one thing but doing another does not say “professionalism”.
- Demonstrate continuous learning and skill development. Stay up-to-date on the latest trends.
- Maintain a positive attitude, particularly in difficult situations.
- Be supportive of your co-workers, whether it is lending an ear or giving them their turn in the spotlight.
- Be open to other ideas and opinion.
[awsbullet:win friends and influence people]