I just read an article which claims that the Wii is back. I didn’t even know it had gone anywhere in the first place. LOL Some have even claimed that Nintendo was becoming stale, out dated and no longer would be the console of preference last holiday season. It was only one problem, no one told consumers that Nintendo was dead. In fact the Nintendo Wii along with the Nintendo DS outsold all of the other popular gaming consoles combined.
In a recent article over at Wired the sales figures for December 2009 shows that Nintendo still leads the pack:
U.S. Videogame Hardware Sales, December 2009
- Wii 3.81M
- Nintendo DS 3.31M
- PlayStation 3 1.36M
- Xbox 360 1.31M
- PSP 654.7K
- PlayStation 2 333.2K
U.S. Top Ten Console Game Sales, December 2009
- New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii, Nintendo) 2.82M
- Wii Fit Plus (Wii, Nintendo) 2.41M
- Wii Sports Resort (Wii, Nintendo) 1.79M
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (360, Activision) 1.63M
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PS3, Activision) 1.12M
- Wii Play (Wii, Nintendo) 1.01M
- Mario Kart Wii (Wii, Nintendo) 936.1K
- Assassin’s Creed II (360, Ubisoft) 783.1K
- Left 4 Dead 2 (360, Electronic Arts) 728.5K
- Mario and Luigi: Bowser’s Inside Story (DS, Nintendo) 656.7K
For those of us who believe that Nintendo still makes the best gaming console, myself included, these sales figures back up our beliefs. Also with 6 out of 10 Nintendo games leading the sales figures, it just shows that the Wii and DS are still America’s favorite.
Comments as always are welcome.