If your home computer is not shared or if it is used for something unimportant such as gaming, you may not want to type in a username and password each time you turn it on. In such situations, you can configure Windows 7 to automatically log on. In other words, you won’t need to type in a username and password.
To configure Windows 7 for automatic log on:
- Click Start and type netplwiz in the Search field and then press Enter.
- Click Continue when the User Account Control window appears.
- From the User Accounts window that appears, verify that your own user account is selected.
- Clear the Users must enter a username and password to use this computer option and click OK.
- Provide the password for your user account when prompted and restart your computer.
Going forward, Windows 7 will automatically log on using the username and password you provided in step 5.