No Surprise That China Holds The Top Spot
It is now estimated that some 1.8 billion people from around the world now have access to the Internet. The importance of the Internet has over shadowed any other medium including that of television. TV is limited to a one way presentation, whereas the Internet provides the user with a way to communicate with others from around the world. In a recent article it also stated that:
Here are some standout facts and observations that give additional perspective to the Internet usage of the top countries on the Internet.
- There are a total of 1.8 billion Internet users in the world.
- There are 32 countries with more than 10 million Internet users.
- The top 10 countries on the Internet together have 1.17 billion Internet users. That’s 65% of all Internet users in the world.
- The top 20 countries on the Internet together have 1.47 billion Internet users. That’s just under 82% of all Internet users.
- India is the fourth largest country in terms of Internet users in spite of having an Internet penetration of a measly 6.9%. This thanks to its huge population.
- China takes the top spot both in terms of population and Internet users. China has almost twice (1.8x) as many Internet users as the United States.
- China together with the United States, the top two countries, make up half of the Internet users in the top 15.
- Out of the top 20 countries, the five with the highest Internet penetration (not users) are: United Kingdom (82.5%), South Korea (81.1%), Germany (79.1%), Japan (78.2%), United States (76.3%).
By Internet penetration, we mean the share of the population made up of Internet users.
If one looks at China with a population of 1.3 billion people, it is easy to see that there is a large potential for future expansion of Internet users in that country. Whereas others countries like the U.S. may not see limited growth when it comes to Internet users. We can call China the new frontier.