I have been a big fan of your show for a couple of years now and thought I would give back to your awesome community by sending in this top 5 list for things to consider when choosing a notebook.
- Only buy what you need. There is no point in blowing money on expensive notebooks with extreme graphics cards and gigabytes of RAM. Assess what you will be doing with your machine and buy accordingly.
- Is portability an issue? With this you need to ask yourself if you need something as small as a netbook or a larger, 15″+ screen. also consider battery life if you are away from power for long periods of time.
- Gauge your budget. Pick a sensible budget — not too high or low — and make sure it fits your needs. Also bear in mind the future; you could buy a second hand or older laptop for less, but then when software catches up or you are required to do something more intense, you will need a more powerful notebook.
- What software do you require? Remember this as it is what makes your computer work. Do you need Microsoft Office for work or OpenOffice for casual home use? If you do need commercial software, it may be cheaper to buy it pre-installed or with your machine.
- Are you fashion/looks conscious? Are you okay with a chunky notebook or do you need a fashionable, thin Dell with a custom lid? Also, choose colours to match your work environment if this matters much to you.
And I had to add one more, which is to try before you buy. There is nothing worse than paying out £2000 (about US $3176 over where you live) for a notebook that does not fit your needs and having to buy a new one.
Anyway, hope you like this list. Keep up the good work and let me know if there is anything I can do to contribute to the channel.