If you’re new to Word 2007, you’ll likely notice some new file formats when you go to save a document. The file format you select will depend on a few things, such as if anyone with an older version of Word needs to use the document.
If you’re not sure what each of the new file formats represent, you can refer to the list below.
Microsoft Word File Formats:
- docx: default Word 2007/2010 extension
- dotx and dotm: Word 2007/2010 template files
- doc: Word 97-2003 format
- dot: Word 97-2003 template format
Other File Formats:
- txt: unformatted text files
- rtf: Rich Text Format – text file with some formatting
- htm, html, mht, mhtml: Web page files
- xml: Extensible Markup Language files
- wps: default extension for Microsoft Works word processor files