Windows 7 lets you customize the notification area by adding or removing icons. Take for example, the volume icon. If you don’t use the volume icon in the notification area, why not just remove it?
To remove the volume icon from the notification area in Windows 7:
- Right click an empty space on the taskbar and click Properties.
- Click the Customize button within the Notification area section.
- From the Notification Area Icons window, click the Turn system icons on or off link.
- Click the drop down arrow beside Volume and select Off.
- Repeat step 4 for any other icons you want to remove such as the clock, network, or power icons.
- Click OK.
You can add the volume icon back to the notification area by repeating the steps above, only select On when you reach step 4.