Some (most?) of you are old enough to remember the first Pledge to America, called Contract with America. As I remember it, good old Newt Gingrich was involved. Strangely enough, here we are, years later, and here is another Pledge to America.
Just to revive your memory, the Contract with America was another bunch of lies thought up by some strategist or other and promulgated upon the populace by a bunch of liars, at that time known as Republicans.
The Great Unwashed swallowed the Contract whole and the liars trotted away gaily, laughing at us openly. The Contract was never kept.
How quickly we forget.
Before some of your knees jerk and you start saying bad things about my parentage because I must be a Democrat, picking on Republicans; the Democrats have promulgated their own lies upon the masses. This rant happens to be about the Republicans and Boobus America, which swallows the same excrement every four years. Make no mistake: they’re all criminals.
One of the secrets to figuring out where power is located is that it’s not the man in the White House; he’s there for four or eight years. The power is the people around DC who have been there forever.
Which brings us to Newt.
What exactly did Newt do to his mother in-utero to make her hate him enough to name him thusly?
A few years ago, anyone paying attention (both of you) spotted El Newto (his friends call him Sally) cozying up to the religious right. This could mean nothing else but a run for office.
I have to figure that even Boobus America isn’t dumb enough to elect A Man Called Newt, who divorced his first wife, who had cancer, and boinked staff members. Even calling himself a conservative Christian is not going to save this salamander. Here is a man patterning himself after Ted Kennedy.
Quite frankly, the only attribute of Ted’s that would be handy to Newt at this moment is his total and complete lack of life.
In case you’re curious (and don’t want to click on the link above), here is the gist of the Contract with America:
- FIRST, require all laws that apply to the rest of the country also apply equally to the Congress;
Just like healthcare, eh?
- SECOND, select a major, independent auditing firm to conduct a comprehensive audit of Congress for waste, fraud or abuse;
On the eve of 9-11, there was a news conference to note that the government could not locate trillions of dollars in defense allocations.
- THIRD, cut the number of House committees, and cut committee staff by one-third;
- FOURTH, limit the terms of all committee chairs;
- FIFTH, ban the casting of proxy votes in committee;
- SIXTH, require committee meetings to be open to the public;
- SEVENTH, require a three-fifths majority vote to pass a tax increase;
- EIGHTH, guarantee an honest accounting of our Federal Budget by implementing zero base-line budgeting.
So there you have it: the Contract with America. Do you have any reason at all to believe the Pledge to America is going to be worth more?