To install a service in Windows 7:
- Click Start and click Control Panel.
- Click Programs and then Programs and Features.
- From the list of tasks, click Turn Windows features on or off.
- Select the box beside the service you want to install and click OK.
Once services are installed, you can manage them using through the Services console. The Services console lets you stop, start, pause, resume, disable and view the status of services. You can define recovery options in the event that a service fails to start. For example, you can have the computer restart if a particular service is unable to start.
For security and performance reasons, some of the services are installed but remain disabled. Assuming you have administrative privileges, you can enable them through the Services console. Conversely, if you need to disable a specific service, you also use the Services console. Keep in mind that disabling a service does not uninstall it. To disable a service in Windows 7:
- Click Start, type Services and from the list of programs, click Services.
- Double click the Service you want to disable. The Properties window for the service appears.
- From the General tab, click the arrow by the Startup Type option and select Disabled.
- Click Ok.