Although obvious to you, not everyone reading your document will understand each table, diagram, chart, etc. By adding captions to objects in your document, you can provide further clarification to your readers.
To add a caption to an object in Word 2007:
- Select the object for which you want to add a caption.
- Click the References menu.
- Within the Captions group, click Insert Caption.
- In the Caption field, type a description for the object.
- Click the drop down arrow beside Label and select the label type (e.g. figure, equation, or table).
- Click OK.