Freedom House, a US privacy watchdog, noted that global freedom declined for a fifth straight year in 2010 due to authoritarian regimes, crime and unrest.
“25 countries showed significant declines in 2010,” according to the report.
For some reason no one can fathom, they managed to keep a straight face and not say a single word about their own country. I guess they were just waiting for us to appreciate the irony….
In absolutely, completely unrelated news:
- lines stretch out the door in airports, where invasive body scans, both xray and physical, are taking place. The TSA would like to see the scanning expanded to train stations immediately, unmarked vans soon, and eventually right outside our front doors.
- President Giveaway and his henchmen passed repeated bailouts for large corporations and banks.
- President Giveaway and his henchmen passed a law mandating the purchase of health insurance, under penalty of steep fines.
- it is illegal to kill someone but it is more illegal to do it while calling them a bad name
- one can no longer carry more than three ounces of liquid or explosive underwear onto a plane [no word yet on box cutters]
- ultrasonic weapons have been turned upon peaceful protesters who weren’t in designated Free Speech Zones<tm> (out of the way of the cameras)
- you can be stopped and fined for not wearing a seatbelt
As the report notes, it is difficult to affect much from outside a country. I suggest Freedom House drink their own Kool Aid and turn their gaze inward.