Facebook has become the most popular social network on the Internet with over 500 million users. Over that last few years, some users have become unhappy with some of the privacy options on Facebook – or rather, the lack thereof. Facebook has made many changes that make profile data more easily accessible to third parties who have an interest in your profile information, such as advertisers, as well as strangers, depending on your own privacy settings. Facebook has also become a hotbed for bullying, especially for teenagers. If you no longer want your Facebook profile for these, or any other reasons, here’s how to permanently delete your Facebook account:
First, Deactivate Your Facebook Account
1. Go to Facebook.com and login to your Account
2. Click “Account” at the top right of the page
3. Then, choose “Account Settings”
4. At the very bottom of your Account page you will find the option to Deactivate Account. Click “Deactivate”
5. Choose your reason for leaving and whether you want to opt out of receiving emails. Note that even after you deactivate, your friends can still invite you to events, tag you in photos, or ask you to join groups. If you opt out of emails, you will NOT receive these email invitations and notifications from your friends.
6. Click Confirm.
Deactivating your account does NOT permanently delete your account. You will still have to actually delete your Facebook account which you can do by requesting Facebook to delete your account for you.
If you do not think you will use Facebook again and would like your account deleted, you will need to request Facebook to delete your account. You cannot reactivate your account or retrieve any of the content or information you have added. Click here to request Facebook to delete your account, and then click “Submit” to have your account deleted. This will start the process to permanently delete your Facebook account.