Most of us have an opinion as to how reliable or unreliable refurbished products are. Companies that sell refurbished products do so without offering a warranty, or with a limited time warranty of 30 days or less. Apple has a different idea of what a refurbished product should be and how long of a warranty a refurbished product should have.
I first want to share with you my own personal experience with Apple and its refurbished products. I bought an iPad for my wife directly from the Apple store just about 20 months ago. Like many of you, I was slightly leery of purchasing a refurbished product, no matter who did the refurbishment.
The day the package arrived, I couldn’t wait to open the box and see what the unit looked like. When I got through opening the shipping package, I saw what appeared to be a new box housing the iPad. I was also surprised to to see that the contents of the box — down to the unit itself — looked brand new. Even the charging unit looked new without a mark on it. I gave this iPad as a present to my wife on Mother’s Day and she has cherished it since that time. At the time I purchased the refurbished unit, I saved $150.
My point is this: When Apple certifies its products, the company means exactly what it says. Apple Certified Refurbished Products undergo a stringent refurbishment process before being offered for sale.
Each Apple Certified Refurbished Product is:
- fully tested (including full burn-in testing).
- returned to like-new condition (including a brand new battery for iPods and iPads).
- given a new refurbished part number and serial numbers.
- placed into a final QA inspection prior to being added to sellable refurbished stock.
- repackaged (including appropriate manuals, cables, new boxes, etc.).
- shipped with the original OS offered with that system.
What to expect from an Apple Certified Refurbished Product:
- Substantial savings
- A fully-functional unit with complete documentation
- The assurance that the unit meets Apple’s premiere quality standards
- AppleCare Protection Plan for Apple Certified Refurbished Products.
- All Apple Certified Refurbished products are covered by Apple’s One-Year Limited Warranty.
The one year warranty by Apple should be enough to give anyone a confident feeling that they are purchasing a great product at a great price. In addition, shipping is absolutely free.
The one question I have is this: Is this eBay store being operated by Apple? To me it certainly appears that it is. In addition, the pricing on the eBay website is the same as what Apple offers in the Apple Store for refurbished iPads stands. I did notice that the eBay store seems to have a smaller selection of refurbished iPads compared to the Apple Store.
What do you think?
Comments are welcome.
Source: eBay Refurbished iPad Store
CC licensed Flickr photo above shared by Ben Atkin