Spring is here, and as a reminder we have several spring-inspired premium themes on sale. With the huge galleries here on WinCustomize, we also have a large collection of skins here as well including a bunch of fantastic looking wallpapers.
Here are some spring wallpapers I recommend:
The news and first beta of a new app designed to manage running applications and windows was introduced by Stardock this week.
“The current PC task management metaphor hasn’t really changed in over 18 years,” said Brad Wardell, President & CEO of Stardock. “In recent years, mobile devices have been able to introduce users to more modern metaphors of arranging their digital life. Tiles has been designed to update that metaphor to the PC experience.”
Tiles works by taking advantage of the wider aspect ratios of today’s desktops. On the right side of the screen, a page of tiles is displayed. Users may have multiple pages that they organize as they see fit or make use of several sample page filters such as displaying only active windows or only web pages. Users can then switch between pages either by clicking on the page title or on touch systems by sweeping their finger across the page to “turn the page”.
Also check out the getting started guide: Getting Started with Stardock Tiles
Tiles is available via Impulse for current Object Desktop subscribers!
A couple of weeks ago I posted some Valentine’s Day wallpapers, and here are some more!
If you would like to use these as a Logon screen in Windows, then try LogonStudio (free) and just drag and drop your favorite wallpapers to make them a login.
Valentine’s Day is approaching, and it is always fun to get your desktop ready for the occasion too!
Click the image to be taken to the download page.
WindowFX 4 is a Windows app that lets you add special effects to your windows, enhancing your desktop experience.
What’s in this update:
- Added friction slider for momentum windows
- Tweak to how sticky notes are handled with darken inactive windows
- Tweak to darken inactive windows for report of darken effect not working right
- Tweak for when an application stops responding it no longer animates in when the OS detects it is not responding
- Fix for a specific control panel with open animations not painting the window correctly
Current customers can update via Impulse. If you don’t have WindowFX 4, then you can get more info about it at its website.
WindowFX is the best way PC users can spice up their systems look-and-feel while still adding productivity benefits (such as maximizing windows to a specific size).
New in version 4.0:
- Custom window animations
- Enhanced window resizing options when dragging to screen edges
- Eliminate distractions by drawing attention to the foreground window
- Enable window momentum when moving windows
- Window Flick mouse actions to customize window movement, maximizing, and monitor location
- Allow Flash videos to run full-screen on one monitor (on a multi-monitor system)
- Semi-transparent windows when inactive or moving a window
- Keep a clean desktop by automatically minimizing inactive windows after a configurable period
- Extend right-click window menus with additional features including custom maximized window sizes and always-on-top visibility settings
A free trial is available and WindowFX 4 is just $9.95 for the full version. It is also part of the Object Desktop suite of desktop enhancements.
WindowBlinds is the application to completely change the look and feel of Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7. It has been downloaded over 16 million times on Download.com alone, and there are thousands of skins that can be downloaded from sites like WinCustomize.com.
Included in WB 7.2:
- Added advanced glass support including new sections for SkinStudio
- Improved compatibility with pre-release Firefox 4 and IE9 builds
- Added new IE9 sections
- Added support for per-skin custom colors
- Optimized skin changing speed on 64-bit Windows
A free trial is available and can be downloaded from Download.com. More information about WindowBlinds can be found at www.windowblinds.net.
Fences is the widely popular application from Stardock that helps you wrangle up those icons spread out all over your desktop. The v1.1 update for Fences Pro is out today with various fixes and improvements.
- Added ability to toggle hidden fences at startup
- Added “Hide shortcut arrows on desktop icons” to Appearance tab
- Reliability improvements based on user feedback
- Numerous small UI tweaks
- Improved multimonitor support
- Icons no longer have risk of falling out of their fence on F5 and/or monitor resize
- Fixed flicker when moving a fence behind the taskbar on Win7
- Fixed issue where new icons could become “stranded” until interacted with, particularly on XP
- Fixed issue where moving Fences beneath the bottom of the screen exhibited odd behavior
- Improved “Disable Fences” functionality
- Fences now “come to the front” when moved. Fixes behavior where you could move a Fence behind another and then lose access to it.
Current users can update via Impulse.
I recently showed a widget and app for Mac/iOS that allows you to track delivery packages, perfect for this time of year. I didn’t want to leave my Windows friends out, so here is another awesome widget for your Windows desktop that will track packages for Amazon, UPS, Fedex, etc.
This is a beta widget, but works great and takes up very little space on your desktop. It even provides map tracking via Google Maps and integration with the Win7 taskbar.
DeskScapes 3.25 was released this week by Stardock. DeskScapes lets anyone have animated wallpapers on their Windows desktop. It also can manage both static and animated wallpapers, including support for multiple monitors.
New in this update:
- Added updated effects
- Added sliders to adjust effect strength (where appropriate)
- Updated effects previews
- Updated config window usability
- Added support for translation via new Language tab
- Tweak to system timer frequency on Vista/7 machines when paused due to running on battery
- Tweak to preview display
- New dreams installed to Shared Documents rather than User Documents
A free trial is available, and the full version can be registered for just $19.95.
Stardock has released the long awaited update to the popular ObjectDock application. ObjectDock is an application that gives users the ability to organize shortcuts, programs, running tasks, etc. into an animated dock for Windows. This new version is a significant update with a variety of new features.
ObjectDock 2 new features:
- New user interface.
- Icon reflections.
- Background blur-behind (Win7/Vista)
- New mouseover effects
- New “Ghost-mode”
- Aero Peek-like feature
- Folder-View tabs (Plus version)
- And much more!
You can take a walkthrough of some of these new features here. ObjectDock has both a free and Plus version. Current ObjectDock Plus users can upgrade to 2.0 for $9.95, and the Plus version is $19.95.
Stardock has many of its developed and published titles on sale this month. You can grab these great PC games starting at around $5 via Impulse.
DeskScapes is an application that gives you the ability to have animated wallpapers on Windows 7, Vista, and XP. A new beta has been released for current users, which include some fixes and updates.
- Adjusted some of the UI elements to look better (stars, checkboxes & radio buttons)
- Random background item in the backgrounds list now animates slightly and looks better than before
- Support for translation with new language tab in settings UI. Users have to restart the app once they change the language
- Effects preview images all replaced
- Some effects now show a slider on the preview when selected. This allows you to adjust the strength of the effect. This is limited to the blurs, fuzzy focus and most of the smears.
- Preview now positions itself in the middle when the window is smaller than the min preview size.
- New dreams now install into Shared Documents not User Documents. This allows multiple users to share the same dreams.
- Various tweaks and fixes
The update can be found via Impulse.
You can download a free trial of DeskScapes here.
Impulse has partnered with Child’s Play, a game industry charity dedicated to improving the lives of children in over 60 worldwide hospitals, to help raise money for this worthy cause. From August 30th to September 10th, a portion of Impulse proceeds will be donated to Child’s Play.
We also have well over 100 games and apps on sale, so it is a great way to pick up a great game and help this valuable charity at the same time.
Visit impulsedriven.com for more info.
Back again with some cool wallpapers to make your desktop just a notch better than your next door cubicle neighbor!
Click the image to be taken to the download page.